I love how our lives are woven together.
.

Did you know....

Did you ever wonder why Easter falls on a different Sunday each year?

Easter always fall on the first Sunday AFTER the first Full Moon AFTER the Vernal (Spring) Equinox.
An equinox occurs twice a year, in March and September, when the center of the Sun crosses directly over the Earth's equator,
 as the Earth is tilted neither away nor toward the Sun.
 Many cultures around the world celebrate the equinoxs as special occasions

The word AFTER is very important here.
If the full moon falls ON the Equinox, we need to wait til the next Full Moon
That's why Easter is so late in some years.
Easter can never be earlier that March 22nd or later than April 25th.


This year, the Full Moon for March fell ON the day of the Vernal Equinox, this caused Easter to be late this year, thanks to the AFTER rule. This meant we must wait  for another Full Moon to occur after the Equinox before Easter could be celebrated.

This year,
April's Full Moon fell on the 17th, last Sunday,
 so we had to wait for another Sunday ,
That day is Today 
Sunday the 24th ,2011

So it's easy to remember:

Easter always falls on  the first Sunday after the first Full Moon after the equinox, to celebrate Easter.


The exception
There is always an exception to every rule right?

Passover

If the first Sunday after the first Full Moon after the equinox,
falls during passover...Easter gets bumped to the next Sunday. 
Passover said     "Pardon me I was here first"
Easter replied   "OK ...I'll see you next week"



If you want more info



Happy Easter
                                         

7 comments:

Leslie Hanna said...

WOW! I didn't know that! I know why Passover moves from year to year (lunar calendar, adjusted by an every-fourth-year leap month), but I didn't know that about Easter. THANKS!

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

Its me again...removed other comment as I began to worry that my musings may unintentionally offend!
Thankyou for that info..I can now settle an heated "debate" between me and my mum :)x

Carola Bartz said...

And the last time Easter was so late was in 2000 - and I only remember because 4/24 is my daughter's birthday.

Heartfire At Home said...

Nope, didn't know that!! I'm never too old to learn new things. :)

Happy Easter Marianne!

Linda. xox

Angie said...

New it was connected to Passover but didn't know how ...thanks

Sonya McCllough Lockridge said...

Thank You ... some awesome ... very clear info.