I love how our lives are woven together.
.

self portrait


paper and paint collage on canvas

I am fighting the urge to crawl under a big fluffy blanket for the winter.
I've been working on a few paper and paint collages.
This one is my latest attempt at a self portrait.
I've been a bit blue lately.
I am a Gemini
The line down the center of my face represents my two inner voices.
Those voices are always in constant battle.
One of my Gemini Superpowers is the ability to equally balance pros and cons...
but this also makes the decision process very hard for me.

  I have had a lot on my mind.

We recently made the decision to not bring anymore dogs to RuffHaven.
It was a heart wrenching debate for us.
You see....we've been reminded again of how short  life is
and how we do not know how long we have on this earth. 
Since RuffHaven is small and private and not supported by public donations,
we knew that at some point we would need to stop.
We did the math and realized that this is the right thing to do.
The dogs that are here now will stay here for the rest of their lives.

Penny's Status has been changed from "Resident" to "Pet"
We are down to five.

But that doesn't mean I will stop saving dogs

I contacted the local shelter and had our home added to the list of foster homes in this area.
I know fostering will be hard, since I fall in love so easily....
but I will be able to help more dogs this way.

8 comments:

sunny said...

Marianne - your self portrait is awesome! THank you for sharing it, and explaining it. I know how difficult it was to make the dog decision. I'm sure the dogs you have will give you many years of love and devotion!

Rebecca said...

I love this self-portrait! Very beautiful and thoughtful! Glad you will be on a foster program- I marvel at people who rescue for "a living". With our 2, the last year was more expensive than any we had seen, but we agreed we would do whatever it took to make them comfortable to the end. Those dogs are do lucky to have you!

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

LOVE the self-portrait!

And re: no more dogs, I should start a pool. I sense an ongoing replacement project might materialize. :)

Lisa - papergrace said...

Marianne,
This is stunning. In so many ways. I see your brave heart, your beautiful soul, your compassion, strength, and a spirit that I cannot describe. It takes my breath away. You are so very beautiful and so very talented. And I LOVE how much you love & care for dogs. You amaze me.

Bonnie Belk said...

I just happened to go check your facebook page - haven't seen anything from you in a while - and found this. It's an amazing portrait - saying as much about you in paint as you could ever say in words. It's beautiful - and so are you.

I understand the decision to change approaches with your dogs. The financial costs are huge. Having only two stretches our budget sometimes, but they just seem to stretch our ability to love and cherish even more. Fostering is so much harder than rescue. It requires that extra huge capacity to love enough to let go. You will take in animals when they are most vulnerable, love them back to health, and let them go. You really give them their life back, one they will share with someone else.

You never cease to amaze and inspire me. You are an angel on earth. I hope to see wings on your next portrait. You can add a halo, too.

Carola Bartz said...

Marianne, I haven't been here for such a long time - things have been a bit crazy over here.
I am sorry that you're feeling blue, and I hope that this has changed to the better - although this post is almost four weeks old. I hope that you and the dogs (and the lifeguard) are doing well and you're just busy and therefore can't be in blogland often. All the best to you, and Happy Holidays.

Lubna said...

I can understand how tough this decision must have been. It was a brave thing and the right thing to do. Wishing you and your loving family including the four legged members a joyous 2012.

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a wonderful holiday....hurry back!