I love how our lives are woven together.
.

Tuesday, Tea and a Tutorial


Good Morning Tuesday !

 On Tuesdays several bloggers link up with Elizabeth to share what ever is going on in their lives. The rules are simple ... and bendable ... . 
There is a link to her blog at the end of this post,
 so you can get more info if you would like to join us.

I have a few loyal followers on instagram
 and one of them has asked that I share the steps I used to make this.  

It's a 5x7 collage on Strathmore, 140 lb mixed media paper


As many of you know, I like to make copies of my art. 
Recently I made these four cards for a swap.


I made several copies.  I enlarged them in two sizes.





 I started with an old 5x7 piece that just 
wasn't working out the way I wanted


so I tore out parts of a copy

 .
 and using my favorite medium,  Water Soluble Varnish, 
I layered it in the center .


 Then I scraped a thin layer of gesso over it
 to add depth and soften the color


 next I added a heart that was cut from the copy


 then I added the word "grateful"


 The edges were a bit bland


 so I used Inktense Pencils to add color


 the pencils are loaded with pigment 
so it a little bit goes a long way


 next I used a small brush to add water to 
the pencil and puled the color toward the center


 I used red, bright blue, and violet in several areas around the edge


 The white squares were bothering me


 so I used the colored pencils again to add color


 I used bright blue inktense around the word. 
and added drips and dribbles


 Then I added some detail with a black  Micron 01 pen


I added more color to the heart


 I used a micron pen to outline the heart


 and a Sharpie to define the edge of the card


 I used bright blue to add "drips" from the top edge. 
I thought I might be done .
But the bottom right was bothering me

 So I used gesso on the edge of a folded scrap of junk mail 
 I usually use an old credit card
 but I had no idea where they were....
 hmmmm... need to straighten up a bit around here.


 I just added the gesso by gently tapping.


 Now it's finished.  



I think I'll make 3 more for Sandie's Happy Art Swap

So
What's in my mug?


Land o Lakes Raspberry Hot Cocoa !
Love it on a cold day like today.
  
Thank you to Carolyn for asking for the tutorial.  
Thank you to Elizabeth for providing the link up for us every Tuesday. 
Thank you to Leah for hosting Art Every Day Month.
And if you read this post to the end. . .


Thank you
I am truly grateful.

Marianne

24 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

And I am grateful for the tutorial, as well as posting to your blog.

This looked really interesting, although I have never owned any of those fabulous pencils. I've heard they were color intensive, though. And I had NO idea they were watercolor pencils, too.

Thanks so much for sharing T today. Your hot chocolate looks great, too. Just what I might need when I wake to a cold house in the morning.

Vicki Miller said...

So many layers and depth. Love it!

Unknown said...

And I read it, too. And I enjoyed seeing your process - you always have something to teach. AND I Love your art and your spirit and your dogs and your heart - and I'd probably love your raspberry cocoa, too!

Karla B said...

Love the tutorial and your art! Happy AEDM!

dawn said...

Hello, I love this post! Thanks so much for showing us the process, love seeing these from people. The page came out so PRETTY!!! Great texture and color going on with it.
The drink sounds yummy, have never tried it but will add it to my list.
Happy T day and AEDM to you!!

roffeycreations said...

Hi Marianne - those inktense pencils are on my sisters wish list and now I can see why - they picked up the edges of your work just right... Happy T Day - Mxx

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I'm so happy you shared your process of making this lovely piece of art.

I've had some of that brand of flavored hot chocolate-vanilla is my favorite!

Darla said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I have wondered about the pencils and it is great to see how they work. I also like the fact that you rework some of your own pieces. Just great!

Now if I only hand some hot chocolate.

Darla

Krisha said...

Wonderful tutorial, with great step by step photos. I've started using a bit of my own art work on my cards too, usually post cards, but fun all the same.
Have a great week.

Snap said...

i loved your tutorial ... it's always fun to see everyone's process. the color is great. Happy AEDM!

Sandra Kaye said...

Loved your process!!!! Great cards!!! 12 days!!!!

Carol said...

Thanks for sharing your process!!! I love the look and your card turned out fantastic !!!!

Maron said...

It's really nice to see someone's process. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Dianne said...

An excellent Tutorial for T Tuesday, and gorgeous art work! copying your own art and re-using it in new art is a brilliant idea. Lovely piece...Happy Tuesday!

Susan Schiller said...

The colors and the medium you've chosen to create these cards is beyond my imagination. I truly admire you for being able to create something so beautiful. Those who receive these cards are fortunate ones indeed!

Gorgeous - thanks for sharing! :)

voodoo vixen said...

Lovely to see how you create your works of art and I am now going to be on the look out for those pencils as they look like they could be a heap of fun!!

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial on your steps to a great art card! I had hot cocoa this morning too. It just felt like that kind of day.
Happy T to you!
~Dawn

Rita said...

One of these days I am going to have to get some Intense Pencils! Thanks for the step-by-step. Really turned out pretty. Happy T-Day. :)

Spyder said...

never known about these pencils...thank you for sharing! Love the art work and design. Happy T Day!

((Lyn))

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Marianne,

It's knitting weather in New Mexico.

This is a great tutorial! I'm glad you used the inktense pencils so I can see their intensity. Yep, I'll be saving up for a set of those!

Thanks for stopping by!

Peace,
Kay

stefani said...

This is a wonderful card. Thank you for posting the steps on how you made it. I never thought to make copies of my stuff. I may have to look into that.

Oh and that Raspberry hot cocoa is simply the best!

Halle said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I love see how art is made. I'm always amazed at the sometimes very simple technique that yields such wonderful results.
Happy Tuesday....a day late!

Denise Price said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I admit I'm intimidated by mixed media, but you gave me some new ideas to try that seem do-able. Your cocoa sounds yummy; raspberry and chocolate are a great combo.

Tracey Holdyk said...

What a great tutorial. I love how it turned out and I love the gesso that you added at the end. It finished if off just perfectly. Happy T Day, sorry its a bit late.