I love how our lives are woven together.
.

No Pattern ? No Problem. Right ?

subtitle : Log Cabin Rescue Project  Adventure
 
before I begin today's post I want to let everyone know that I will be back to my old self and
blogging about all types of art, painting, cardmaking, zentangle, whatever.
I am currently focusing on sewing because I am on vacation and
 I brought my sewing machine with me.

Now on with today's post.
 
I picked up 24 log cabin blocks at a yard sale.
They were bright, sunny and wrinkled
 and
all for $1 !
One Dollar!
wow...
I knew I could do something quick and easy with them so
I snatched them up and smiled the whole way home.
 
All piecers and sewists and quilters know that sewing in general, is a series of problem solving.
and
Sewing without a plan or pattern requires more problem solving.
Easy right?
right.
 
So after ironing and squaring up the blocks, which I found were
not only not square....they were not even the same size.
   


 
Problem # 1
If I trimmed them to be the same size it would mean some
of the blocks would lose some precious points.
Can't have that.
So this led to thinking and a trip to several Quilt shops in seach
of 24 batik fabrics that would mix, match and blend with the log cabin blocks.
24 half yards later......
and a 3" border added around the blocks...
 
Problem #1 ----  Solved !
 
(this is also where I realized this was not going to be a quick and easy bargain beach blanket )
 
 

 
Problem # 2
I could still tell the blocks were not the same size and this bothered me.
 

So I trimmed the four sides at an angle and turned the blocks into
12" square Wonky Blocks.
This made me very happy.

Problem #2 --- Solved !
 
 
I arranged the blocks on the bed and decided the finished quilt would be
too small for a beach blanket for two and a few dogs.

 
Problem # 3
Need to make it larger without a pattern and without spending a ton of money.
I already had leftovers from the half yard cuts.
So I cut 12" blocks.
I decided to make a disappearing 9 patch.
It's a pattern but you don't need a pattern.
You can wing it.
 
I made 6 of these:
 
 
nine patch block
 

cut them like this:
 
no longer a nine patch block
 
 
Turned the two opposite corners like this:
 
 
Problem #3 --- Solved !
 
at this point I had to move the blocks to the floor because it was huge.
not a big problem

 
I was enjoying the task of arranging the blocks.

 
I love the secondary pinwheel pattern that was showing up.
 
But I twisted , turned, rotated, rearranged those darn blocks for
 TWO DAYS!
I could not get them to fall into a balanced design where two blues would not touch
or where all the yellows would not be on one side.
 
Problem # 4
 
I need therapy.
I am too picky.
I am not able to settle for just okay.
 
sigh.
 
 So on DAY THREE of this "easy" "quick" project

 
I bring out the seam ripper.
and remove the offending fabric.
 
 
bad fabric...not playing well with others...lower right

bad fabric ....around wonky log cabin

bad fabric....upper left


 
and replace it with yet another fabric that I had to go to the LQS to get.
yep....more $$$.
at this point the ladies in the shop, who know me as Bosley's Mom,
 laugh at my delema.
 
I am now hating those blasted log cabin blocks and wish I had never seen them.
 
(but the new orange fabric was pretty and I purchased two yards of it so I have enough for another day)
 
Same blocks...new fabric added:



 
this required many cups of tea.
then I ran out of clean cups....small problem.
I washed the cups and took a shower.

 
 
Problem #4 ----- Solved !

 
I finally came up with a pleasing layout and quickly stitched it all together.

 
In the proccess I had to eliminate 4 blocks because it would have made
the beach blanket too big and too heavy to carry to the beach.
 
Which leads to another problem

I have to come up with a quick and easy way to use these leftover blocks.
 
 Maybe I should have a yard sale.
 
 
nah.....in a future post I'll show you how I turned the extra blocks into a beach bag.
 
Problem --- Solved !
 
 
Thanks for stopping by.
Please leave a comment and please let your followers know I"m back.
xo
Marianne
 
 
I am linking this post to Sew Many Ways
Sunday Linky Party
pop over to see what other creative types are doing.
I also linked to  Freemotion by the River
I love her site!  
 


16 comments:

Lisa - papergrace said...

Holy cow!!! That looks like WORK!! But, it's also amazingly gorgeous. Love the bright, happy colors so much. I have a deep respect for people who can quilt since I am not one of those people. So more power to you. It is stunning, Marianne! Can't wait to see it when it's completely complete. :)

Leslie Hanna said...

I, too, said HOLY COW! You crack me up, too. Oh, and I'd do the same thing: Take an inexpensive find and spend a fortune making it into something functional. We need our heads examined.

Leslie Hanna said...

PS: I LOVE the replacement fabric.

sunny said...

But you got to use your creative genius to come up with the solution! And it really is pretty. I'll be sure to link to you on my next post. Now where's my sunset??

Unknown said...

All is well that ends well and this project had a happy ending even if you did pull some hair out while getting there! I love the colourful non pattern quilt!

Cynthia said...

I so enjoyed reading about your bargain blocks! Oh, this sounds way too much like me...I'm picky. Your quilt turned out fantastic! And thanks so much for visiting my blog yesterday.

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

First...love your quilt. It's beautiful.
Second...thanks for stopping by my blog and the Labels post. Love your Cloud Labels!! I also wasn't sure if you knew that your blog comments are set to "No Reply". This means there isn't an email address attached to your blog account and there isn't a way for anyone to respond back to your comments. If you ever want to change that, there is a tutorial on my right side bar labeled "Are you a no reply".
Thanks again for commenting on my blog and have a great day,
Karen

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful and creative quilt! How neat to find those blocks for only one dollar......of course you had to buy a few fabrics to add to it....LOL. Priceless! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

make.share.give said...

Thanks for showing us all the "problems" that went into making this beautifully bright beach blanket. Very creative solutions!

Mary @ Mary Manson Quilts said...

I really like your quilt -- and your comments on the process! The colors are gorgeous!

Sandra Kaye said...

Welcome back Marianne!! I love this quilt!! The blocks are cool and the color..I love bright colors!! I'm sorry to say I am not doing quilties right now. I have so many others things I am doing. I will be hosting a one on one trade...Mini art quilts. You send me one and I will trade it out with someone else art quilt. Will be doing this in a few months. Hugs

Elita@Busy Needle Quilting said...

My oh my, yes! Been there, done that, working through another similar issue. Loved the split 9-patch to bring them all together and the replacement fabric was perfect! Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing the process behind the thoughts. Glad to know I'm not alone. :-)

Pat said...

Oh, this started my day with much laughter ... thank you! And your "bargain" log cabin blocks did turn into a lovely quilt.

Patricia said...

What a fun quilt. It will make you smile for years to come! Problem solved right? Of course there is yet the quilting...

Anonymous said...

BEautiful quilt and a very funny story. Thanks for sharing.
cindy

Laura Chaney said...

Wow! This is beautiful, and all the hard work you put into this project is amazing. Great problem solving skills!!