I love how our lives are woven together.
.

Tuesday, Tea and my rant about Turtles



Good Morning Tuesday !

sorry , no tea.
 But there is a teacup.


Something has been bothering me lately.

What if you were walking across the street, 
on your way to Starbucks and someone 
grabs your arm and quickly ushers 
you out of the way of an oncoming truck?
 Whew. close one. 

But.

What if you were walking across the street,
on your way to Starbucks and someone grabs your arm,
 picks you up and placed you in a box . . .
 then plopped you down in the next county. . .
in the middle of nowhere without a map.  

My point?
 . . .  and the reason for this post . . . 
 


If you see a turtle crossing the road. take note of 
the direction it is traveling . . .
 then pick him up and move him out of harms way. . .
to the other side of the road. . .
pointing in the same direction.  
Believe it or not ... he knows where he is going.

Helping him get to the other side of the road is a good thing.

 BUT STOP THERE
 If you pick him up and take him to the nearest 
pond or stream you might have just removed 
him from his home territory and the safety of his den. 
A turtle territory is not that large, usually a few acres. 
    Oh, and what if that pond or stream is home to a heron? 
    ... you just delivered his next meal.

 that heron sure is grateful. 
 But the turtle isn't. 

Box turtles have a natural homing instinct 
that causes them to return to their birth place. 
If you move the turtle out of his territory 
he will find his way home, but may encounter 
many dangers along the way.

So please,
the next time you see a turtle crossing the road. . . 

 help him get across safely. 
Point him in the same direction , admire him , 
take a few pictures and walk away. 
 He'll be so grateful.


Thanks for listening.

Marianne


Linking to Elizabeth for her T stands for Tuesday link party.


20 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

amen! i'm always tempted to relocate them somewhere safer. we have great nature parks here, but you are right. the turtle doesn't want to be plucked up and placed in unfamiliar territory.

~*~Patty S said...

Great advice!
We don't see many turtles ... I always get a thrill when I do see one tho!
The blue cup you commented on has a twin that is a light green color too...thanks for your visit this morning
Happy T Day to ya
oxo

Denise Price said...

Oh, I love your turtle tea cup! Good advice, too.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

We occasionally see turtles busy on their way and this is good advice to follow. Cute turtle/tea cup!

dawn said...

WOW, I had no idea! Thanks so much for this advice, that has happened to us twice. The first time we did move them way out of the way, that was years ago. Hope it was ok after we did that.
The next one we stopped and took pictures of and left alone, he wasn't near the road.
Thanks so much, will tell my kids and hubby about this.
LOVE LOVE THE PICTURES!!!

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic advice and the cutest dang teacup turtle I have ever seen!!
~Dawn

Leslie Hanna said...

Amen, indeed!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

First, I just got home a few minutes ago. In my mailbox was your large box. I can't believe the cost of mailing these days. I haven't opened it yet because I wanted to come visit you before I did. After I post this, I'll be on my way to seeing my new cigar box. But for now, all I can say is THANK YOU.

When I lived in MO, I found a turtle living under my back porch. I think it had been hit by a car. I brought him/her inside and fed it for months. One day, it wanted out, so I don't believe in keeping anything against its will. The next day, it was gone and I never (sob, sob) saw it again. Guess it found its way home. Thanks for letting me know.

BTW, your teacup turtle is stupendous. Truly!!

Cazzy said...

Very educational, the chances of seeing a turtle in the wild in the UK is unlikely I feel! I help frogs and toads, I wonder if the same applies?

Love the teacup turtle!

I'm not sure I can cope with another link up blog! Also I don't drink booze any more due to allergies and now some tablets I take.

Cazzy

Halle said...

That is the cutest turtle I've ever seen!!!!
Happy Tuesday!

Ariel said...

Wow! I love turtles but don't know much about them. Your post is so informative. Thank you for sharing all this with us.
Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. Those cups were done as part of an online class. I love them too.
Susan

voodoo vixen said...

Very informative, though unlikely that I will be seeing turtles crossing the road anytime soon. I love your teacup turtle, he is so cute!

sunny said...

So cute!!!! And thanks for the PSA.

susie said...

Oh such great advise!.....I think your turtle would look pretty darn special in a HAT!...can't wait to see...and what about a name?
see you again soon,

susie

Dianne said...

such a thoughtful post...I wouldn't necessarily have thought of that myself...sometimes the best intentions aren't well thought out. Love the
Cute little turtle with the teacup!

Vickie said...

Watch turtles for weather conditions, if you see a turtle crossing the road, it's going to rain, this is correct 90 % of the time. The other 10 % is because...I was wrong :/
Love your turtles teacup shell.

Lisa - papergrace said...

I still can't believe you drew that!! So amazing. Is there anything you CAN'T do? This is just another example of your God-given gifts. Stunning!

I had no idea about the turtles, so thank you for the information. :)

Rita said...

I love it! Somebody who cares about animals and knows a lot about them. I care, do know more than some people (did know about the turtles), and appreciate being informed and reminded. Oh and I love I love your tea-turtle!!! :)

Debi said...

Lovely post with a very important message, Thanks for getting the word out.

Carola Bartz said...

That is truly good advice, Marianne.