I love how our lives are woven together.
.

I will tangle outside the strings ! AEDM day 4

I started following Creative Every Day and I am participating in Art Every Day Month. Everyday for the entire month of November I will post a finished piece of Art or something very close to finished. Since I have All that stuff in my studio basement it shouldn't be that hard right?   WRONG !  

Yesterday I took an official Zentangle Class taught by a Certified Zentangle Instructor. She was fantastic.
But the zentangles I did today are not makin' me happy.   And I think I know why...

Remember when I posted about the zentangles I made in October? The ones I made after buying a kit and scouring the Internet? Here's a link to that post...click here    thank you    ..but come right back...

Ok now here's what I did  in class. 





Not as good as the stuff I did on my own.
The problem is this

1.... I do not do well in a classroom setting
2.... She gave us the "rules"......   Aaack  !

Rules !    I can't be creative if you give me rules!  
I mean ...ok I can stick to the size....and I can stick to black and white....But I don't think I can adhere to ALL the rules.  Like using only approved "tangles" ( designs...doodles ) And shading.  I don't like the shading because when you touch it it smears and smudges.   

I protest....I just can't do it..

So from now on My Zentangles will not be true Zentangles...They will be known as Zentangle Inspired Art.

Sheeesh.....

I color out side the lines !
I will tangle outside the strings !

Rules can be Ruff...There are no rules in Art

Marianne

11 comments:

Jenny Blair said...

Yay! I'm in FULL agreement... the words "rules" and "art" are a total contradiction. Stick to what brings you joy :)

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

Rules? She gave YOU rules? I can see rules when first learning something, but after that, do your own thing! It's ART!

Sherry Lynn said...

Rules are meant to be broken...LOL!! Continue to work in YOUR best work..love your art.

Michelle V. Alkerton said...

We all need to know the rules we're breaking :).
Stay inspired!

B @ Sweet Limes said...

Rules seem so wrong, guidelines, sure but rules? Regardless, I think you did grand.

Lenna Young Andrews said...

you definitely do not have to follow all the "rules", marianne! I added color to the last ones I did and that is a little outside the box for most zentangle purists. Take what you need and make the rest of it work for you! Personally, I like ALL of the zentangles I've seen you do : )) You go! Looking forward to receiving more of your envelopes for the mail art swap! lenna

Jennifer Noel Bower said...

I've always heard 'you need to know the rules before you can break them.' Looking back, it is pretty true. My BFA taught me the rules and now I break them all the time :) For what it is worth! I really like the piece, a lot. Super linework, texture and movement. A great composition.

Missy said...

Well, I think they still came out lovely, cool work.

Nigel said...

LOL, you rebel you ;)

arts4all said...

You will get lots of support for your 'no-rules' spunk! The minute somebody tells me I have to put a definite label to something or do it a certain way, the challenge begins!! Beyond learning a few basics early on, Art + Rules = OXYMORON!!

arts4all said...

Keep returning to your blog and love to see your Z'tangles.