I love how our lives are woven together.
.

no running, no jumping, no stairs


Since a few of you have asked how I keep Goldie on restricted activity while she recovers. 
The answer is simple.
  
She is crate trained.  
Injury or surgery is the number one reason why dogs should be crate trained.
 Crate training is useful for more than just potty training.
I talk to so many people who say they have used a crate to housebreak but then put the crate in the attic or basement or even give it away because they think they will never need it again. 
 Not true.
You never know when you will need your crate.
 In Goldie's case she is on restricted activity until her knee heals.

She was told
 No running.
 No Jumping.
 No stairs. 
      
 When I am home I can keep her under control verbally with a "down / stay " or "settle".
 But when I am not around she goes into her crate.
Well ....I tell her to go into her crate.
 She also wears an E- Collar  ...short for Elizabethan Collar.  
The collar keeps her from licking her stitches which
could cause infection or the loss of stitches...that wouldn't be good.    



Here are a few photos from the past of some of my dogs in their crates.
 Goldie
 Summer
 Summer
 Niki
 Shadie
 Shadie
 Dutch... Dutch LOVES his crate and spends most of the day in it.
I think his crate is too small for him but when we bought him a larger one he wouldn't go in it.
So he's back to his snug crate.
He runs to his crate every time I reach for his medication.
 Goldie again ...she's so precious
 Tucker....from three years ago while he was being crate trained...he had some lungs.
Oh did he cry when first put in his crate.
But eventually he would sleep.

I hope all is well in your world.
                                                                           

7 comments:

Okami said...

I love Niki's crate!! Our guys are crate trained also. Kota sleeps in his every night, Jewlz hated hers, so while we still have it, it is not up.

The Crafty Elf said...

I love Niki's crate....she does too by the looks of it. What gorgeous dogs Marianne, OMG!

Anonymous said...

You're such a 'Good Mommy'. Hope Goldie is better soon, such sweet dogs :)

Angie said...

I have one on those cages and use it foe cats .... new ones learning to get used to our huge feline family and vice a versa...new mothers with their kittens ...and after operations. I know cats are easier than controlling a dog but I couldn't do with out it.So glad your canine friend in on the mend.

flyingbeader said...

Frodo loves his crate too. He's gets really upset if you don't lock the door too. All my Scotties have loved crates except Arwen...she hates it & tries to hide at dinner time. All the others would be gone & I'd go upstairs & there they would be all fast asleep. Dogs do love their special napping place.

Unknown said...

So cute....You're a a woman after my own heart. Come visit by doggy bloggy

http://gardenlilyandholly.blogspot.com

You can see my girls.

505whimsygirl said...

Love the whiskey barrel crate. I've heard that dogs consider their crates a safe haven - kind of like a den. I must confess, my two little girls aren't crate trained. They do have a den area under the stairs. They love it there.