I love how our lives are woven together.
.

I have a thing for moss


Mother Nature has gotten out her paint box and has begun to work her magic here at RuffHaven.
There's a hint of golden orange in the trees. Very soon the forest will be ablaze with glorious colors.
I love all seasons here in MD but Autumn is so gorgeous it is hard to not choose it as a favorite. The smell of distant wood stoves and fireplaces have already filled the cool crisp air. Gone are the scorching temperatures of Summer and I can actually go outside and get the final weeding done. Time to plant Spring bulbs and protect them from the squirrels. Also time to make sure the leaf blower still works and is ready for its weekly task.   Yes we blow the leaves away from the house and into the woods. .....    too many leaves will smother my carpet of moss.

I have a thing for moss.  I love it on the ground, on trees, stumps and rocks.



I love it in the cracks of my walkway and on terra cotta pots too. 

This is the perfect time to add a coat of moss to your terra cotta or clay pots. All you need is some buttermilk and some clean moss ( no dirt )  and a large clear, plastic trash bag.  
I used to go through the hassle of making a buttermilk and moss smoothie in my old blender. But that really isn't necessary.  All you need to do is break up the moss into small chunks and rub it vigorously between your palms. Do this inside the plastic bag to keep everything in place.  Then pour your buttermilk into the bag and smoosh it all together. You want it to be damp with buttermilk....not runny.   Now put your pots in the bag and rub the mixture all over them. Leave the pots in the bag and place it in a dark place like under your deck. The next day take the pots out of the first bag ( this will be stinky )  and place them under another clear trash bag and out them  back under the deck. ( or other dark place )
Allow your pots to weather over the winter. Next spring make sure the pots stay damp so the baby moss grows. 

Now I need to go back out there and plant more bulbs.

It seems odd that I am thinking about Spring when Autumn only just arrived.
So tell me....do you think two seasons ahead?  Are you getting ready for Spring too?

10 comments:

jacqueline said...

I really like moss too and your moss photos are soo gorgeous! have a lovely merry happy day and love to yoU!

Kathy Anne said...

Beautiful words and photos! My husband put a fire in our wood stove last night for the first time and it felt so warm and cozy. This season is truly full of wonder!
kathy

Sonya McCllough Lockridge said...

I'm a moss lover as well ... and your woods there in MD ... Enjoy all that is fall .... and Sunday night B4 the New FlyN Nunn show (I love me some Sally) my son built a huge bonfire in the top of our old grill, which is now a cheep fire pit!

Carol @ A Bird in Hand said...

How beautiful. Fall is my favorite also and I miss it so here in Florida. I've seen a turn for the better in the heat department down here and can finally get back to gardening. This is actually one of the prettier times of the year to plant flowers here. My roses come back to life after being fried in the heat for awhile. It is a completely different type of gardening. I've often thought I would have to learn it all over again if I lived in a different climate and always love to read what my northern friends are doing this time of year to get ready for the seasonal changes. Frankly, I would LOVE to relocate further north someday, so I read it all with great interest. What kind of bulbs are you planting?

Theresa said...

I am fully in Autumn at the moment but should be thinking of pruning roses and planting bulbs for spring~
I love moss and miss living closer to the coastal area although only 30 minutes away nothing but hills and oak trees~ What a difference a 30min. & climate can make. Do drop by and link up your Autumn post to my Mr. Linky on the side bar~ I am having a blog hop/ link up for Autumn / Halloween. Have a lovely week. ~Theresa

Kristie @ Comfy Cozy said...

I love moss too! It's a good thing because we have tons of it in and around our yard. Guess that's one of the perks of living in the woods. I have always wanted to moss up my pots but have never taken the time.

I adore fall...almost as much as winter. We are having our annual Harvest Party for all the church members this Saturday. We'll make a big pot of soup in our large kettle over a roaring fire. We are also having a scavenger hunt that day. Too fun!

It's been rainy here but I am still hopeful that there are a few more lazy days spent in my hammock before the snow flies.

An yes, we have to make sure our leaf blowers are ready to run. We do exactly the same thing...blow the leaves into the woods. We then go around and suck up all the acorns...tons of them.

Jenny said...

Oooooh moss! I love it too! Your photos are gorgeous! My dad wages a war against moss every year as it overtakes his lawn and squeezes out the grass.But I always fight for the moss! :) So soft and spongy to practise handstands and somersaults with my kiddies :)

Jenny said...

Hi again! Thanks for dropping by my blog and your lovely message. You HAVE dopped by before...my Header used to be a photo of ferns...we had a mutual appreciation of the luscious ferns going on :) Now to decide between ferns and moss would just be TOO hard! :)
You live in such a beautiful part of the world, I so enjoy your wee sharings of it :)x

Claire NZ said...

I loved your moss photos too. I'm amazed to hear how to grow moss on pots! And I call myself a gardener!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! Big Fan of moss covered rocks & pots in the gardens. Can't wait to see your forest in full bloomin' color!

Isn't it just the best time of year? I'll pop-in again soon.
susie