I love how our lives are woven together.
.

Love is in the Air

 Around this time every year our property becomes home for a large herd of deer. Two things bring them to our forest.

1. The local corn fields are harvested, leaving the deer exposed to hunters.

2. My hubby, Lifeguard, starts to bring in bags and bags of molasses corn so the deer have plenty to eat through the winter.

Here we have the perfect setting for a SafeHaven for deer all winter.  Right now they are in  rut....mating season.....which means stay away from the bucks. They become very territorial and will chase you if you are not careful.
I was driving up my lane the other day and ....interrupted...    i think     ....     this buck

          making eyes at one of his harem



and if you look closely you will see another one peeking out from behind a tree on the right.


I didn't want to scare them off so after 3 quick photos, I hurried up the lane and left them alone to continue their courtship. I have a habit of keeping my point and shoot camera on the front seat ... you never know when you have a great photo op. 

In other news this fall.....

Usually this time of year I am preparing to go to FL to spend a few months there but this year with the official start of RuffHaven Sanctuary my plans have changed.
Also, I have several quilting projects to complete and they are not easy to transport. So I will be here throughout the fall to enjoy Mother Nature's colors and the preparations for the holidays.

edited on 10/21/10

7 comments:

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

I love the deer on your property!

Theresa said...

Love deer, how sweet to care for them. I can't wait to see the quilt. Thanks for the sneak peek! ~ Theresa

Joan B said...

wow, the deer are gorgeous and that quilt looks amazing.

Heartfire At Home said...

Marianne, how strange, I was only just thinking of you and your lovely blog today (about an hour before your comment on my blog) when I came across the title of your blog post in my dashboard, and I made a mental note to come and visit soon.... then you commented on my blog!!

I sooooo envy you living near a gorgeous, beautiful, natural forest. As you might know, I have a huge thing for trees, particularly the sort not native to Australia (our natives are gum trees etc, but I love oak trees, maple trees, and pine trees).

How magical to be able to see the deer in their natural habitat. Your pictures are wonderful.

The quilt looks wonderful too... sounds like there's a great 'story' behind it!!

And, I'm glad someone else likes my goofy owl besides me!!

Linda. xox

Carola Bartz said...

Love the deer. How blessed you are to live so close to the forest.

Carrie Schmitt said...

How lovely that you and your hubby take care of the deer and make sure they have enough for winter. Usually I just hear people complain about the deer, but they are just so stunning and graceful. It's nice that you coexist happily with your surroundings! Enjoy the beautiful season this year!

Suzanne said...

Where do you go in Florida? I'm sure it's very different than anything in these photos you've posted here. Those photos seem like you'd be quite happy to skip Florida this year -- they're so beautiful.