I love how our lives are woven together.
.

Summer Camp

Last week was full of unexpected surprises.
I woke up last Wednesday sick as a dog....no pun intended...and wound up at the vet...eh...um, I mean emergency room. Usually I am the one rushing a dog to the vet. But on Wednesday it was Lifeguard's turn to rush me to the ER. After 6 hours, 22 minutes and 7 tests....They don't have any idea why I was not able to stop puking and well...you know....yeah too much information right....Right. Not to worry. I'm well now.

Two days after the ER event I drove to the mountains of western PA as in Pennsylvania, to attend Art on a Limb. An Artist retreat. Remember in my very first post I told you I was slightly agoraphobic. Lifeguard thinks the stress of attending a retreat with 17 women....women I do not know....sent me over the edge and into the ER. Who knows, he could be right.
Anyway
Putting all fear and illness aside I drove to PA.
And I'm so glad I did. The ladies were the most friendly I have met in a long time and we all had so much fun.
The retreat was hosted by Lisa Patterson and the guest instructor
 was Cheryl Darrow of TenSecond Studio.


We played with metal


 and resin





we drilled


we sawed




we made nature prints






we played with paint




we ate well





we played outside







we got fresh air



we slept in bunk beds


we made a huge mess



we learned a lot from Cheryl


we had a campfire


roasted marshmallows


of course
we made S'mores


we made new friends


we made great art keepsakes






we had a friendly competition
with 3 winners


Art on a Limb

I had a great weekend

can't wait to go back next year.


When I came home I told my son about all the fun we had, the things we did and the friends I made.
He said.. "Mom...You just went to Summer Camp ! " 
he was right
I hadn't looked at it that way at all.
We grow up and call these events ...   Retreats.
 But in reality all they really are is grown up summer camp.

What a way to end a summer!

Life is ruff...get some fresh air!....go to summer camp!

9 comments:

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

May I go with you next year? Looks like a blast!!!

Carola Bartz said...

It sounds and looks like a very special retreat and LOTS of fun! Glad you could make it!

Laura Ludwig Hamor said...

sounds PERFECT! I haven't made a nature print since I was a kid, I may try that with some fall leaves!

carrie schmitt said...

this looks amazing! what a wonderful experience. this is living! I'm so happy for you and glad you took a risk and went!

Lessons Learned said...

Marianne - that looks like an absolutely amazing experience and the work you created is not only gorgeous but will be treasured for years to come. WOW

Cindy Belseth said...

Hi Marianne!

Your "Summer Camp" looks like so much fun! I have never gone to a retreat before (scared of going by myself, lol) and after seeing your pics, you have inspired me to find one! I really love your nature prints, they are beautiful!

Cindy

Carol @ A Bird in Hand said...

Marianne - I'm so glad you are feeling better. There is nothing worse, I think. What a great retreat! I've never tried a retreat before, but it is on my list!! Thanks for sharing...

Claire NZ said...

What a great time - I'm so glad you went despite the initial trepidation.

Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful and I'm glad you were well enough to enjoy it.....
I signed up for Artfest. My very first retreat. I still can't believe I was bold enough.... I tell my kids I'm going to summer camp.... They are not pleased!