I love how our lives are woven together.
.

a summer sunrise



Before I get to the heart of this post I'd like to answer a question a few people have asked.

"Why did you name your rescue RuffHaven? I mean, isn't that kinda cheesy?"
( yes, someone actually worded it that way )  But I am a big girl and it did not hurt my feelings.

Now the fact that dogs say "ruff" and my driveway is the "ruffest"  in the county,  had nothing to do with the naming of Ruff Haven.

I'll try to keep this short. because I know you really came for the show and tell.

Well, when I decided to open a Sanctuary for old dogs I first went to "Best Friends" The largest Animal sanctuary in the world. Yes...the world.  it on over 33,000 acres in Utah. You should go see it. Even if only on the web.   Anyway.    They really know what they are doing when it comes to setting up a rescue so I took their
"How to start an Animal Sanctuary" Workshop
That was nine days of intense information.  When we got to the subject of business names etc... It looked like  ALL the good sanctuary names have been taken. So I set upon the task of trying to figure out a good name that would fit my sanctuary to a T.

I made a long list of possible names but  I kept coming back to    RUFF ... cheesy... but very fitting.

  Since most of my dogs are large and one form of Chow Mix or another, 
something to do with Chow Chows was in order.   
And since the fur around the neck of a Chow Chow is called a Ruff,  it had to be part of the name.


   BINGO  !     we had a winner !

Now the Haven part was easy. My little portion of the world is my Haven.
So there you have it:     

RuffHaven 
  Rescue and Sanctuary   
gated community for canine seniors 
(and dogs with special needs)


Now on to show and tell.

I have been working on blogs and websites and logos and business paperwork etc....I needed a break from it all so I started a new series of  collages.

Here is a look at the start of the first one.


 Summer Sunrise
layers of paper and paint
draw tiny leaves on sticky back canvas and cut out
add a zentangle tree done on sticky back canvas
take it outside to get a better photo
add leaves
not finished yet.....

To be continued.......
See you tomorrow !

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can"t wait to check out the finished painting > i love it now, And thanks for sharing the process.
Also I like the name Ruff Haven.

Lessons Learned said...

that is so cool. i like it how it is too. can't wait to see what else you do to it. what do you mean sticky back canvas?

leslie said...

O.M.G. I LOVE THIS! And I would so STEAL this idea if you didn't know where I live, or live close enough to me to come hurt me.

soraya nulliah said...

Dear Marianne-I LOVE this painting! It is so beautiful-the colors and the graphic quality of it...I agree with Leslie above...I could SO steal this! Well, borrow it:)

Carrie Schmitt said...

Wow--I didn't know you had a dog rescue. Very cool. And I love that you showed the process of your painting. I am always wondering how people make their art--it just boggles my mind when I can't figure it out. Thanks for sharing your beautiful art with me! BTW, I think Ruffhaven is a perfect name!

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Hi Marianne! Just stopping by from flying lessons. :) I love the name Ruff Heaven and I'm amazed by you that you have actually opened a sanctuary for dogs. It's a lot of work. :)

And I love your art. So nice to see the process of making it.

Carol @ A Bird in Hand said...

I always thought your name was perfect and adorable! Beautiful art as well. Very nice.

Nigel said...

I shall reserve comment until I see the finished article - providing it doesn't take my breath away :)

Monica said...

well, you have one of my dream jobs. when we moved here to the balkans that was an idea i had because we were going to have a large plot of land. i still take in strays all the time as a foster mama.
so you have my full virtual support!

love the zentangle tree, can't wait to see what you do with this.

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

What a beautiful collage! I really love how it looks even though you aren't finished yet.

It was fun to read how you came up with the name of your blog too. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog!
Alissa

Anonymous said...

This is ART! I cannot wait to see more :)

Sandy said...

I think the name of your sanctuary is perfect and the artwork is amazing as well!

Kim Henkel Creations said...

I love the zentangle tree - I enjoyed visiting your blog - it is my first time, but I will be back! Thanks for sharing.

Adriana said...

Marianne, thanks for all that you sharing here!
I love the work in progress..wonderful creativity!

Love your Haven and the name 'Ruff'! xx

Linda Vincent said...

Great collage...I love all those cute leaves (you have a lot of patience!)
RuffHaven.....perfect name :-)

Heartfire At Home said...

Hi Marianne! Thank you so much for your lovely words on my blog, so glad you found me via the owls!! I love owls (as you know), but I also have a great 'thing' for trees - oh yes!

I adore your collage, just fab! I did a little ink drawing a while back that I posted on my blog of a tree and some patterns... I'm fascinated with trees and their form. The background colours in your collage are beautiful too.... can't wait to see it finished.

And I love the name of your rescue!! My very first home that I bought by myself was called Cozhaven. It was my cozy haven, so I used the 'coz' from 'cozy' and added haven on the end. How lucky we are to have people in the world like you who do so much for our animals.

Thank you for following me. I've followed you too! Look forward to catching up with you again.

Linda. xox :)