I love how our lives are woven together.
.

the art of decorating for dogs


I have had a few blog friends ask me how I live with so many dogs.
And quite a few have come right out to ask....

"Doesn't your house smell like dogs?"


Well ....it has always been my goal to keep a clean house for me, the lifeguard, and the dogs.....as well as any guests who choose to visit.

One of the things that helps is I clean every day and     I    constantly    rearrange     the furniture....I  know...I have issues.
 I have these little cut outs and I play around on graph paper before I start moving
.....do you do that?   or am I odd?


The only way to get ALL the dog hair is to move furniture around , get under it, and sometimes even flip it over to get the stubborn hair that goes underneath and migrates up to the dust cover...and sticks like Velcro.
Some times even the vacuum has trouble getting it all so I resort to sticky tape and a damp sponge. It helps to have fabrics that can take a beating....like twill or denim. No velvet here...and let me tell ya....micro fiber is not dog friendly.... it holds odor and attracts dog hair like a magnet...trust me....I know.  Stick to sturdy cottons and slip-covers.  A whole lotta throws and blankets too. You can always wash the blankets and that helps the hose smell fresh.


Anyway...my house doesn't smell like dog. And I always have a fresh look. Plus the furniture is never in one place long enough to put dents in the carpet.
oh oh ...another thing....
Let me show you the best carpet for a house full of dogs....or cats...or even kids.


This carpet hides dirt and even if there is an accident....it doesn't show.  Perfect color for any pet stains that linger even after a good cleaning.
As far as the rest of the room ....since you're here....  I like a neutral palette and keep to greens, greys, browns, golds....sort of like a meadow.  I have had the green floral sofa for twenty years or so and even after all those dogs it still looks good. I would love to redo the whole room but as long as the furniture is good I can't see spending the money.

 I made the needlepoint pillow back in 1983...even before I had a sofa to put it on.
I love how it works in this room
 I love texture
 and the hard wood floor



Thanks for stopping by
                                              

7 comments:

Bunny Hipps said...

I'm sure all of your dogs smell like flowers! :)

JDConwell said...

Your house is gorgeous. I don't rearrange very often--we just moved every year to a new house (military). I used to draw house plans all the time, though. Obsessively. :~)

The Crafty Elf said...

Oh dear....scary(there is someone else out there like me)! I love to move furniture too and why? Because I can! Great post Marianne I truly enjoyed it.

Kristin Dudish said...

Hi Marianne!

I love the way you use graph paper to pre-arrange your furniture... I actually gave that a try once, but I ended up just physically moving things back and forth anyway! ha!

Have you ever tried the pledge fabric sweepers? I love them for a quick brush-up! (I also cut a semi-circle slit in the plastic that catches the hair so I can empty it out with my vacuum attachment rather than tossing it when it's full - cost effective too!)here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Pledge-Fabric-Sweeper-Hair-sweeper/dp/B003TNA6AE

That last photo is priceless :)

xo
Kristin

p.s. I'm sorry to hear about your art funk - keep your fingers dipped in paint and I'm sure you'll find your creative desire again! (I can't wait to see what you create when you do!)

flyingbeader said...

Since the only people who come here are dog people too, then I truly don't care if people wrinkle their noses at the "dog smell". LOL! Not really, I do worry that my house smells like the hoard especially if it is raining outside & they do so love to splash in the puddles. I have leather furniture in the areas they are allowed in. They tend to pee in the two rooms we don't actually live in that has carpet so they are gated from there. Hummm...I guess I'm gated off from there too. Anyhow, I've decided to get laminate floors to keep all that temptation of carpet & to live in the whole downstairs instead of two rooms.

Ann said...

we have a "tucker" and a "penny" !!
we clean a lot also..plus 3 grandkids..7,6 and 3....so,we have all kind of different "happy smells"!! i figure, my friends know and love me!!! if someone comes over and has an issue, i'll go visit them!!! my pets are my babies and i'll put up with their mess as much as i put up with grandchildren mess!!( they live with me too!!)..life is short..gotta enjoy every day as if it were your last!!!

Sandy said...

I see why you need my fabrics, they would be prefect in your room! I LOVE that sleigh coffee table. Your room is great and I love the idea of playing with a grid to decide placement before shoving furniture around. You gave some really great tips for pet owners too! Loved the tour.