I love how our lives are woven together.
.

Tribute to a Classic Car



Remember the Chevron quilt I made for my ex,"The Carpenter" ?
I gave it to him in February, but we just now were able to pull his El Camino out of the garage to take a few photos. He has had that car since 1987. It was the last year Chevrolet produced them....so he had to have one. I never quite understood the attraction,
 but who am I to judge. 
The custom tarp was made by a gentleman in Pennsylvania. It snaps on and off.
 It is the first and possibly only El Camino tarp made with a Chevy"BowTie" Logo cutout. 
The cut out was precisely placed so the driver had visibility via the rear view mirror. 
I was told that this took a long time to figure out exactly how to do that.
When he first had the new tarp made, he was pulled over by the police several times because they were sure it blocked his visibility and was illegal.
 Eventually all the cops in the area knew the car and he stopped being pulled over.  

"The Carpenter" is quite proud of his car.
So you see why I had to make the quilt when I saw the fabric back in 2010.

I am so happy it is finished and he likes it enough to allow me to post these pics on my blog. 



*disclaimer..... If you are muttering "red neck" under your breath, I understand. But remember the car belongs to my ex...not me.


 
I am linking this post to Mosaic Monday 


3 comments:

sunny said...

My Dad used to drive an El Camino! It is the vehicle in which I learned what the smell of burning brakes was as a young driver. You really should release the emergency brake when driving around town. Nice Quilt! It really looks 3D.

Lisa - papergrace said...

El Caminos always reminded me of confused cars. Not sure if it is a car or a truck? Ya know? Haha! The quilt you made for him is beautiful. I particularly love the chevron pattern. So super pretty!

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Marianne,

A classmate had a El Camino -- black and polished like nobody's business! I fell in love with it. Unfortunately it was stolen and he thought it was taken to Mexico (I lived in California at the time).

Your quilt is amazing! You're nicer to my ex than I am to mine!!! haaa

Kay