I love how our lives are woven together.
.

yes sir yes sir three bags full

Last weekend I was able to sneak off to see the 40th annual Sheep and Wool Festival which is held at the Howard County Fair Grounds only 20 minutes away from my home. I have lived in MD for over 25 years and this is the first time I have been able to attend this event.


So before it becomes old news I'd like to share some photos with you.


There were beautiful blue skies and the smell of french fries. Of course I had to have some old fashioned root beer while I listened to the bluegrass bands. 


 The shuttle to and from the parking fields was a tractor and wagon......so sweet.

There were these wild and crazy 4 horned sheep called Jacob sheep.
I grew up in rural PA and never ever saw a sheep like this.
They have two sets of horns and the gentleman tending to them said they can grow up to four sets.
I had a chat with these sheep. They were very friendly.

There were so many different varieties of sheep I stopped taking pictures. I was amazed at how friendly they were and saddened because I learned the difference between sheep for wool, leather and food.  um.....I was talking to sheep that could actually end up as someones dinner.
somehow  I had forgotten this fact. It put a small damper on my day.
 My spirits were lifted when I watched the Border Collies perform their magic. I love how they take charge. It was like a waltz. back and forth , around and around .....a gentle dance. 

Then there were the tables of wool.
So many different varieties and textures.

a little boy was looking at the bags full of soft and stinky fluff and he was singing 
Yes Sir Yes Sir ... Three bags full.

I had to smile


As I walked through the barns and  buildings my smile grew.
There were
miles and miles of yarn
in every color you could imagine.

I was so smart to leave my credit cards at home.

Then I saw this
and I had no money to buy it.
sad
She had several other pieces but she asked me to not take too many photos.
So I just took this one.
You can see more of her work on her website

I am truely blessed to be able to enjoy a pleasant music filled day 
surrounded by beautiful fiber and yarn,
 sweet and gentle sheep, good food and of course the Border Collies.

I will definitely be going back to the Sheep and Wool Festival next year.

4 comments:

sunny said...

We drove by there on Saturday morning, and DH wanted to stop for lamb kabobs. I'm glad you've showed us what's available -maybe we'll stop next year! I hope you were able to at least buy a little wool? Perhaps three bags full?

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I could never drive by and not stop!
I have a friend that attends that festival every year. She does amazing needlework and often incorporates her "buys" in her work.
If you have never visited Susan Elliot's blog, take a look when you have some time. She has amazing skill and will be glad you visited.

http://plays-with-needles.blogspot.com/

Leslie Hanna said...

You didn't shop?!?!? I went a few years ago and it was amazing.

Sandra Kaye said...

I would sooooo have come home with that jacket!!!!! that was just gorgeous!!!