I love how our lives are woven together.
.

more fun with varnish

I know....I said  I would tell you about another use for water based varnish...the cheepo stuff you can buy at M's  and I do think the other big craft stores carry it too...  I didn't forget ....
I needed to make something so I could show you this cool technique.

You know how sometimes you have a rubber stamp image that goes one way....but you wanted it to go the other way?  .....And yes, I know all about mirror image stamps and many other ways to flip the image. But I don't have one of those with me .....and  besides....this technique is so cool...
   
For demonstration purposes I am working on a small notebook from 7Gypsies.  I guess I should mention that I am not affiliated with any company or product I show you here on this blog or any of my other blogs...I am just a consumer...a very active consumer...I use a lot of stuff.....I should probably add some type of disclaimer in the sidebar...   I am a consumer and an enabler... 

...Sorry I got off track didn't I?

ahem...anyway...........here is this cute little notebook after I covered it up with some decorative paper* and some of that lacy paper that I showed you last week.


 I even covered the cute little pockets on the inside

I need to put  that bird image* on the back of the book...but I want it to face
the other direction
 Here is where the varnish comes to the rescue....
but first I have to tell about this....
 here is another favorite product....acetate
some artists and  crafters call it window plastic

 No I am not going to use the acetate...
I am going to use the sheer tissue protective sheets that are in between the sheets of acetate
They put them in there to keep the acetate from sticking together.
I guess some people throw them away
But not us crafty types....
We use everything

 so... here I have my stamp, the tissue paper and the ink.
water based inks will run, so use a pigment or hybrid ink

 Stamp the image on the tissue

 Slather some varnish on your project where you want your image to end up.
~ see the shiny wet varnish...
 lay the tissue paper with the image
FACE DOWN
so the image is reversed
pat it down a bit and
gently tear away the excess tissue.
hard to see in the pic...but I am gently tearing...see
now gently use your brush to smooth it down
be careful ...it is wet and it will tear
so tap tap tap
gently 

 I folded the excess tissue on the edge around to the inside.

See......reversed image !

and it's transparent.... look....you can still see the script on the decorative paper

This technique is great for altered books and journals
as long as you have time to wait for it to dry.
And of course it's great for collage


edited to show you the completed book:

 I used a gold leafing pen on the edges
 page edges before:
 page edges after gold leaf

front

back


see you soon....

*the bird stamp is from Crafty Individuals and is made by Magenta in Canada
* the decorative paper is from Prima Marketing Pastiche Collection " Seaside"


8 comments:

Mariam Kobras said...

Oh wow, I love this! Is this what you call a scrap book? Because Sue Farrant wants to teach me stamping and making one...

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

So. Very. Cool.
Very.
Must. Try. Some. Day.

Sandy said...

Love, love, love this technique! Thanks for sharing such a cool idea, I've got it bookmarked for future reference.

Doreen G said...

Thank you for showing this great technique and I am sure going to pass it on to our paper arts group.

Nigel said...

The book is stunning, and here's a tip for you. If you don't have varnish, use some watered down PVA glue.

Carol said...

Very interesting technique. Thanks for the tutorial.

JDConwell said...

THAT was cool. Glad I met you through OWOH. I've learned two awesome things already!
jan
I must confess, however, that when I see the name of your blog, my mind always reads "Rufflehaven". Sorry.

Carissa Paige said...

Brilliant! I loved the story as it unfolded... made me laugh & want to bust out my tissue papers & stamps! Thank you for the inspiration <3