I love how our lives are woven together.
.

31 Days- Words of Me - a challenge



Leslie Ackman has started the 31 days- Words of me project. The first task we were asked to complete is to make or  buy a journal. I chose to make mine from scratch. I have tons of paper so this is a great way to use it up. Since I don't know what we will be asked to do in this journal I decided to use plain cardstock for the pages. I used Claudine Hellmuth's Sticky Back Canvas to cover the first and last pages to make covers that will hold up to a month of heavy duty use.



Here are the steps taken to make this journal

 I love this binding system so much I bought it twice. Now I think twice before I sell any of my supplies. Even if you don't need it now you never know when you will need it.
The Rubi-coil will punch through sticky back canvas like buttah.
The next few steps were just playing with an old spatula and some paint.



 I love how the white tones it down
I used Golden Heavy Body acrylics.

 Then I layered on some sheer musical note paper.

 and some batik fabric  leaves



 a few more snippets of fabric


 Then because I know this journal is going to be used a lot and I really don't feel like sewing the leaves on,
I layered Rice Paper over the whole thing using varnish to glue it down. the varnish bleeds through the rice paper and creates a wonderful layer of protection.
 You can see where the varnish is on the leaves
 I use a cheepo brush for this because I tend to forget to clean my brushes.
 I bake it in the oven....yes oven....yes there are fumes....
 but I like the bubbles that form
200 degrees for five to ten minutes
Leave the oven door open
and
DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM THE OVEN


 I used a Tim Holtz distress ink to highlight the bubbles and wrinkles.




We were also asked to come up with a word or two to sum up what we want to accomplish with this month long challenge.     My word is GROW or maybe BRANCH OUT,   But I am not yet sure how I want to add it to my journal. I need to look at it for a few days....

Pop over to Leslie's 31 Days  project. The link is in my sidebar.
Come back tomorrow to see the next challenge



Thanks for visiting,
         

5 comments:

Leslie Hanna said...

This is drop-dead gorgeous, as usual. Sounds like an interesting project! Lots of mystery, too!

scrapwordsmom said...

WOW!! I am super,super impressed. I LOVE this!! You put so much into this...I would have NEVER thought of putting my book in the oven. What a cool effect!!!

And love "Branch Out". Super cute and has such meaning.

So happy you are joining us for the Challenge:)

Leslie

Lorraine said...

This is great Marianne! It delights me no end when I see something I've sent to someone in use.

stART said...

This is drop-dead gorgeous! Just a caution - please use a dedicated oven (toaster oven maybe? picked up at a garage sale or thrift store?). The fumes you mention are toxic and will lay on the inside oven surfaces, also and I'd hate to see you or anyone become ill, despite taking care. Please be safe in your use of materials becuase I love your art and want to see more of it for a long time to come! *G*

Minxy said...

What a cool project, thanks for sharing each step :D
Stay Inky
hugs Minxy