I love how our lives are woven together.
.

just add paint

I am new to  blog challenges and I must admit it is harder than I thought to keep up with the weekly themes.  A few weeks ago I accepted the challenge to create a Christmas card very week. Week one went off without a hitch. Ok, I thought, I can do this. 
Week two.......inchies........aarrgghh!
 I don't do inchies..
.....they are tiny little critters and drive me up a wall. They are way too small for my big ideas.

 Every now and then you can squeeze an ATC out of me but never an inchie!   So I passed on week two.
Two weeks in and I am already a drop out.  not good at all. 

Now here we are at week three and they...the Jingle Belles....throw curve ball.  It seems another blogger has started a challenge blog called...   UPC  -  use,practice,create.     The Jingle Belles decided to base this weeks challenge on UPC's challenge and we were to create a card using acrylic paints.

I use acrylic paint on canvas, in journals, in collages and on larger paper projects. But I don't think I have ever used acrylic paint on a greeting card.   Okay I can do this.

One of my favorite paint techniques envolves the use of a paper towel in which paint is removed .....well here are the steps:

you'll need  a paper towel with a deep "quilted" design
 paint an even layer of paint on your surface...I am using snowflake paper
 Lay the paper towel down on the wet paint and evenly pat it down
 now working quickly , peel the paper towel off the paint
This is using white paint...see the texture? 

When it dries it is transparent enough to see the patterned paper .....this photo is the best I could get (sorry)


Here I painted a white layer of paint and allowed it to dry.
Then added a layer of green, then the paper towel.
See how the dots are left behind?   I LOVE that ! 

 This is the reverse...green then white. Same two colors with different results.

 Since I had all this paper and more white paint on my brush, I painted a very thin layer of white on the patterened paper. I love how the pattern shows through the paint.


Once I had all this, I cut  into 2 inch squares and pieced them together. I added a sticker and ribbon to make the card



 the inside:

Then while I was on a roll I decided to tackle last week's challenge again and made an inchie inspired card
                                                     I'll show you how I made it in this post



  You can read all about this weeks challenge here...   Jingle Belles # 3  and if you're ready to use all those supplies in your studio check out Tyygereye's challenge here...  UPC  Use  -  Practice  -  Create

  



9 comments:

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

This would TOTALLY qualify for last week's challenge! You could use TWINCHIES, too!

Oh, and *thud*. I need to learn to paint more. I just love the texture you achieved here. GOOD JOB!

WV: someru
It's a good time to be in FL now, because in the someru can overheat.

lauren bergold said...

ooooooooooh---i LOVE the paper-towel texture technique! that looks ♥FABULOUS♥! i am going to have to spring for a roll of the *fancy* paper towels, so i can try it! and then using the squares in sort of a "patchwork" background on your card is AWESOME! plus...i was getting ready to say (same as leslie) HEY! this can count as TWINCHIES, too...and then WAHEY you made an inchie card!!! how much do you ♥ROCK♥??!?! (hint: it's A LOT!)

SmilynStef said...

What an awesome tutorial ... I too love how the pattern shows through the paint (as well as seeing the wonderful texture of the brush strokes) ... and Lauren is right, you actually did a Twinchie card and didn't even know it (see, little things do like you) ... thanks so much for all of the great photographs ... and for joining our Jingle Belles fun ... and Lauren is oh-so-right (as usual) ... you rock.

Tyggereye said...

Great tutorial! I love the card and how you added such texture by doing this. How cool. Lovely card!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

This is so cool, I am learning something everyday, gorgeous creation and great tutorial, thanks!

Rosemary said...

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement on my blog!

I love this and I am so grateful you showed how you achieved it. I was looking at the first photo and thought - this is so cool, how'd she do it, then I started reading.

BTW, we can do this - even if we get behind a little. No stinkin' thinkin' - lol

Alli said...

Gorgeous card!
You did do last weeks inchie challenge!
LOL...
TFS!
I am SO doing this!
LOVE the patchwork look!

Dawn said...

OMG! Coolest technique EVER! I gotta try this STAT!! Your card is FABULOUS!!!

Maria said...

What a wonderful way to add color.
Your christmas-cards are lovely.